We’re not organic because we say so, we’re organic because THEY do. If it says Organic or Non-GMO, always look for the name of the third party certifier on the label. Earth Mama’s organic certifier is Oregon Tilth (OTCO) and our Non-GMO Project Verified certification is conducted by third-party technical administrator FoodChain ID. We go through the wringer to bring our certified organics to you: it's an all-day, every day commitment. Because we think you deserve to know, not just because we say so.
USDA Organic NOP Food Standard
USDA Certified 100% Organic products are allowed to use the USDA Organic Seal and the words “100% Organic” on the front label as the legal organic claim. If the product is one ingredient (like lettuce) it’s easy! But if the product is a blend of several ingredients (like Earth Mama’s herbal teas) each of the ingredients is required to be certified 100% organic. If even one of the ingredients is certified only 99.99% organic, the 100% claim cannot be made. A third party certifier must be listed on the contact panel.
If a product is USDA Certified Organic, 95-99.9% of the ingredients are certified organic. The product can legally use the word “Organic” and the USDA Organic Seal on the front label. Any non-organic ingredient must not be available as organic, and must be on the National Allowed List. This list does not allow GMO’s, prohibited substances, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, sewage sludge, or other potentially harmful ingredients. A third party certifier must be listed on the contact panel.
MADE WITH ORGANIC
USDA Certified “Made with Organic” assures that 70-94.9% of the ingredients are certified organic. The word organic can be used in the claim “Made with Organic (insert up to three specified organic ingredients or groups)” but the USDA symbol is not allowed on the front panel. Any non-organic ingredient must not be available as organic, and the remaining ingredients must be on the National Allowed List. This list does not allow GMO’s, prohibited substances, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, sewage sludge, or other potentially harmful ingredients. A third party certifier must be listed on the contact panel.
NFS/ANSI 305 CONTAINS ORGANIC INGREDIENTS (Personal care organic standard)
Food regulations were designed for food: NSF/ANSI 305 was designed for products like soaps and lotions that contain non-food ingredients and require different manufacturing processes. The USDA’s NOP food standard does not allow for some of the raw materials necessary to make personal care products, so an appropriate standard was created. To be certified to the NSF/ANSI 305 standard, personal care products must contain 70% or more certified organic ingredients, and the remaining 30% of ingredients must be on the NSF allowed list. The organic claim is “Contains organic (insert ingredient)”. Products must be reviewed by an accredited independent third party certifier.
NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED
The Non-GMO Project is North America’s only independent verification for products made according to best practices for GMO avoidance. Ingredient compliance is vetted by FoodChain ID. While the USDA NOP Organic certification does not allow for GMOs, they also do not test for or certify to that standard. The Non-GMO Project does not assure that a product is organic.
EWG Verified products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG’s “Unacceptable” list, which includes ingredients with health, ecotoxicity and/or contamination concerns. These products must also meet EWG’s standards for ingredient disclosure on the label; products with the VERIFIED mark are made by manufacturers that have been fully transparent with EWG about that product’s ingredients, including fragrance ingredients.
THE LEAPING BUNNY STANDARD
The Leaping Bunny Standard is a voluntary pledge that cosmetic, personal care, and/or household product companies make to clear animal testing from all stages of product development. Earth Mama’s ingredient suppliers make the same pledge. The result? A product guaranteed to be 100% free of new animal testing.
As a Leaping Bunny company, we are subject to independent audits and our commitment is renewed on an annual basis.
All of Earth Mama’s organic claims are verified by Oregon Tilth, an independent third party certifier.
All of Earth Mama’s Kosher claims are verified by EarthKosher.