Homemade Household Cleaners That Are Really Clean
At Earth Mama, we’re obsessed with clean ingredients. Where they came from. Whether or not they’re as organic as possible. How they work together to become effective, gentle herbal solutions for mamas and their babies.
This includes soap. We manufacture castile soap, and here’s why:
It’s soap-soap. True soap. Not detergent. And there’s a SCIENTIFIC difference, ya’ll.
Detergent is more intense than soap. It’s a synthetic blend of surfactant (to make it foam), emulsifier (to keep ingredients blended) and a preservative (to keep it from growing yeast, mold and bacteria).
Um. That’s a lot of stuff.
Meanwhile, castile soap is the real thing — it doesn’t need all that extra stuff. Castile soap is a saponified blend of acids and base that naturally creates foam, and doesn’t need to be preserved. Super simple, right? Plus, castile soap is “clean” as in organic with no questionable yucky stuff, and “clean” as in: it’s actual soap, that you can use to make all sorts of DIY household cleaning solutions — that are ridiculously easy, and will save you some cash.
And since we love you and we’re nice, here are those recipes. Enjoy!
DIY Non-Toxic Reusable Baby Wipes
- Make the wipes: Cut up an old cotton t-shirt or receiving blanket
- Mix 1c distilled or boiling water, 1Tbsp Earth Mama Castile Soap, 1Tbsp Calendula Baby Oil
- Place your wipes in an air-tight container
- Pour the solution over your wipes. Get those suckers SOAKED
- Seal the container, and have yourself a little dance party while shaking it all up
- Should last 2-3 weeks!
Simple DIY Fruit & Veggie Wash
- Fill 1 quart-sized spray bottle with water
- Add 1 teaspoon of Earth Mama Castile Soap
- Note: fill bottle with water first, THEN add the soap, or else you'll be throwing a foam party which is fun but kind of annoying when you're trying to clean
- Spritz your fruits or veggies, gently scrub then rinse under running water
- BAM your food is good to go
Seriously Easy DIY Kitchen & Bathroom Scrub
- Make a pile of baking soda (about 1/4 cup)
- Make a dent in it with your finger
- Pour a tablespoon-ish (totally cool to eyeball it) of Earth Mama Castile Soap in there
- Grab a wet sponge, mix it all up and go to town
How to Clean Makeup Brushes with Castile Soap
- Warm water
- Castile Soap
- Small dish
- Clean, dry towel
You won't believe how simple cleaning your makeup brushes with multipurpose Earth Mama Baby and Body Wash is!
- Fill a small dish with a few tablespoons of castile soap (any scent will do!)
- Wet the bristles of your brush with warm water, dip the end of the brush, bristles only, into the dish.
- Swirl the brush gently in the palm of your hand or on a reusable make up brush cleaning mat.
- Rinse under the warm water until the water is running clear. You can test it on a paper towel or on your clean towel to make sure there is no residue left.
- Once clean, gently squeeze the brush bristles to remove excess water, reshape it and lay flat on a towel to dry. You want to avoid letting water get into the barrel of the brush, so laying them flat will extend the life of your make up brushes.